Key Facts About The Fisher Place Civic Association:
- Established: Mid-1970s
- Constituent Streets: Fisher Place Civic, Richey, and Perdicaris Place
- President of Association: Patrick Hall (firstname.lastname@example.org, (609)-610-1897)
- Number of participating households: Approximately 40
- Meetings are held monthly at the homes of members
- Negotiating the limited parking situation for local church located off of West State Street
- Organizing Family Days in the summer that include family-friendly activities for kids and adults in addition to a barbecue
- Improving police relations concerning the church parking situation and security of foreclosed homes
About the association: The Fisher Place Civic Association encompasses a residential neighborhood located in West Trenton tucked away between Route 29 and West State Street. The Association includes three historical, dead-end streets: Fisher, Richey, and Perdicaris Place which are celebrated for their brick, stucco, or stone single family homes built between 1900-1920. These historic residencies are now home to NJ State Government employees and commuters working in either Philadelphia or New York. Families say their children benefit from the sense of community and safety within the neighborhood.
Goals: The Fisher Place Civic Association strives to encourage a new influx of residents to the area and continue to be a successful representative voice of homeowners in the area. The goal of The Association is to serve as a conduit between the city of Trenton and it’s residents to ensure the city’s civic responsibilities to it’s people are met. Additionally, the Fisher Place Civic Association is interested in showing prospective families that by moving to the quieter neighborhoods of Trenton, such as Fisher Place, they can benefit from the less expensive real estate within the city, while being able to enjoy the atmosphere of a suburban neighborhood.
History: Many of the homes located in the Fisher Place Civic Association neighborhood were built in the early twentieth century. Perdicaris Place is named after the property’s former estate owner, Gregory Perdicaris, a Greek immigrant who married into a wealthy family from South Carolina and then returned to Greece as a consul for the United States. In 1846, Perdicaris and his family moved to West Trenton where he made his fortune in helping to establish Trenton Gas Light Company.
Ion Perdicaris, the son of Gregory Perdicaris, is famous for his eponymous involvement in the 1904 Perdicaris Incident, which served as the premise for the 1975 movie starring Sean Connery, The Wind and the Lion. Perdicaris was kidnapped from his home in Tangier, Morocco by a Berber tribe and held hostage by their leader Mulai Ahmed er Raisuli. Upon hearing news of the abduction of an American diplomatic figure, President Theodore Roosevelt (who was running for his second term at the time) tactfully used the kidnapping as an opportunity to demonstrate his “Big Stick” philosophy and prowess as a president by sending an espionage fleet to Africa to retrieve Perdicaris. Roosevelt’s famous proclamation “Perdicaris Alive or Raisuli Dead” helped to guarantee to his success in the election. Ironically, it was not until after Roosevelt won the second election that news was released to the public that Perdicaris had ceded his American citizenship in order to become a naturalized citizen of Greece prior to the incident.
After the death of Ion Perdicaris, a developer bought the estate and then sold sections of it to buyers as residential property lots. The lots were required to meet a minimum size and it was mandated that the homes built on the lots had to be architecturally unique, which is still evident in the eclectic early twentieth century styles of homes in the neighborhood today.